Junior Achievement (JA) Worldwide
Junior Achievement (JA) Worldwide is the world’s largest organization dedicated to helping young people understand the economics of life and the Free Enterprise System. Since 1919, JA has worked in partnership with the private sector and educators in fulfilling its mission and vision. JA Worldwide works in over 119 countries with over 8 million students, to change the way our next generation of leaders looks at their role in the world.
Junior Achievement Americas started in 1975 and has grown to over 964,024 students in over 8,000 schools in Canada, Mexico, Latin America, and the Caribbean. This success is a direct result of strategic partnerships with more than 1,044 private sector companies who have dedicated 36,019 volunteers to share their experiences with and to serve as mentors to the region’s future leaders.
Virgin Islands Chapter
The purpose of the U. S. Virgin Islands Chapter of Junior Achievement International is to provide and facilitate responsive initiatives and programs that are designed to inspire and prepare young people to succeed in a local and global economy through interaction with mentors, the business community, and other stakeholders.
Junior Achievement of the Virgin Islands (JAVI) was initially incorporated in 1993 by a group of organizers led by Tom Bolt and Valerie George; but was later dissolved.
In July 2008 a group led by Julito Francis revived JAVI and obtained approval from the prior group to keep the name JAVI
JAVI held its first official meeting in July 2008, electing Cheryl Francis as the President. Pastor Themba was named the Acting Executive Director.
JAVI partnered with the Department of Education and obtained approval to begin the program in the public schools
February 2009, the pilot program, Economics for Success began in the middle schools.
In the 2008/2009 school year, JAVI reached out to 20 classes with a total of approximately 400 students at the Cancryn School on St. Thomas and the Elena Christian School on St. Croix; Julius E. Sprauve school was started but not completed.
- Belief in the boundless potential of young people
- Commitment to the principles of market-based economics and entrepreneurship
- Passion for what we do and honesty, integrity, and excellence in how we do it
- Respect for the talents, creativity, perspectives, and backgrounds of all individuals
- Belief in the power of partnership and collaboration
- Conviction in the educational and motivational impact of relevant, hands-on learning
JAUSVI Executive Director
JAUSVI Board Members
JAVI is made up of a diverse group of business leaders and Entrepreneurs from our local community. We run into the issue of a 40 mile ocean barrier which keeps us constantly challenged. Our board is made up of equal representation from all three islands and they are responsible for operation and expansion of JAVI programs. Monthly meetings are held to review progress and keep on track to ensure the success of our organization.
- John Engerman, Chairman VP Finance Operations ICMC
- Kirk Chewning, Vice Chair Partner, Cane Bay Partners
- Oran C. Bowry, Secretary VP Banco Popular
- Anneta Heyliger, Treasurer Accountant, Entrepreneur
- Jose Penn, Member CFO, Penn’s Group
- Alice Krall, Member Entrepreneur
- Josh Tate, Member Real Estate Developer
- Marvin Pickering, Member Dir. of VI IRB
- Sadie Clendinen HR Manager ScotiaBank
- Patrick Cox Sr. Vice President , OCWEN
- Uriel Cohen Partner, White Bay